Wednesday, July 04, 2012

LotFP art contest judging, part 1

Okay, time to "judge like apes!" as Milk & Cheese once said.  I challenged readers to grab the totally free no-art version of the main Lamentations of the Flame Princess rulebook (available here) and fill in the blanks with less gore-tastic art.  Or at least differently gore-tastic art.  Today we'll look at the first category, original art by total amateurs.  A couple of entrants might be cross with me because I pushed them into the judging Pro-Am category, but come on, suck it up.

Anywhere, check out some art.  Click to embiggen.


First up is Tim Schaeffer.  What appear to be Sathar (from Star Frontiers) dissecting humans is a great choice of subject matter for the "Is the Character Suitable?" section.  It fits in well with the general grimdark horrorcore tone of the actual LotFP art, which is kind of the opposite of what I was looking for in this contest.  The examining table on the left looks a bit like a lobster tail, which I can't decide if I like or not but I'm pretty sure wasn't intentional.  Also, why are those dudes wearing underwear?  Either this is a soulless inhuman dissection room or not.  For the integrity of the scene those dudes' johnsons should really be on display.


Paul of Blog of Holding did great work here.  A British imperialist and a Japanese imperialist meeting makes a great illo for the languages section.  You know some shit is gonna go down there.  And the illo in the lower right corner is a great concept.  I love the dude with the map taped to the inside of his shield!  I think some of the shading got a little out of control though, as it looks to me like the area around the torchbearer's hand should be lit at least as much as the map.



The last entry in this category is from Jonas Mustonen and I am eating this cartoony style up.  Simple lines suggest so much here.  And look how just some exclamation marks and frowny faces show so much expression on those monsters.  And that stop sign cracks me up.  The other two entries are very entertaining, but I have to give the award to Jonas.


Jonas, you get your pick of one of the following boxes of game stuff:


The Boxed Set Bonanza
The Hardbound Hoard

The Minibox of Mystery
The Preposterous Miscellaneous


Shoot me your preference and your mailing address and I'll try to get to the post office by the end of the week.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you! Mail is sent and my gaming group will propably be overjoyed as in addition to myself there is four others who benefit of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome! I totally want a lobster-tailed examination table - it reminds me of a piece of equipment in my chiropractor's office. The shield of hiding maps is a great idea - totally stealing that for a character concept... :) And the wizard with the stop sign just makes me want to yell out, "Stop - it's Hammer Time!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's something about stop sign guy that reminds me of some of the cartoonier illos in the DMG. Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the wizard, reminds me of the drawings found on "Encounter Critical"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Less lobster, more sausage. Noted.
    Congratulations Jonas and great job Paul.
    This was fun. I need to draw more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG the Sathar dissecting humans is so awesome I can't get over it. It's an illustration I've been missing for 30 years and didn't even know it.

    ReplyDelete