Thursday, August 20, 2009

Quote of the Day

Hidden somewhere on the referee's map are the treasures, the gold, the magic ring, the laser cannon... Perhaps an ancient magic race created a city or a temple which subsequent ages have buried. The original inhabitants have all died or migrated off, although their magic spells remain in full force. Bands of wandering orcs move into the upper chambers. Giant rats infest the corridors, feeding on the bodies of unlucky adventurers. An evil wizard finds new magic powers in the ancient city, and he sets up his own guards and traps... Dragons and giants loot the surrounding countryside, and over the ages they accumulate fabulous wealth.

-Dr. Holmes, Fantasy Role Playing Games, page 41. Thanks to OD&D Discussion board member aldarron for posting this!

6 comments:

  1. It is a great read and can be had fairly cheaply from Amazon.

    Best,

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one of the first things I read when I became interested in roleplaying games. (Age 10, I believe) I tried to use the chapter "Are They All Crazy?" (Chapter 7?) to convince my grandmother that I was not worshipping Satan or joining a cult, though as I recall she refused to read it.

    Word Verification: Factrap- a clever device used to catch bluffers and propaganda-mongers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...wait, laser cannon?!

    This book deserves another read, methinks.

    (Edited for foolish typo)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my FLGS has the holmes box set behind the counter. I need to ask him if he's selling it.

    Ryan... it's Dragons Lair Bellevue...

    Race ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh...

    Ground Zero Bellevue.

    Man I'm cursed by plenty.

    ReplyDelete