Thursday, July 19, 2007

a self-observation

When making D&D villains I often start the process by thinking something like "well, I want this dude to be a Half-Dragon Githyanki Beguiler 12". The game mechanics drive the process. While working on my new Star Wars campaign my thoughts have been more along the lines of "I need a bitter jedi that survived the Purge but blamed both the Sith and the antiquated jedi order. In anger he has turned to the Dark Side but is in no way an ally of the Empire or the Sith." Character and setting drive the process instead of mechanics. I'm totally digging that.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. I dig templates and all that as much as the next guy.

    But back when I was running games on the regular, I usually amused myself by dreaming up ways to make a 6th-level fighter or something cool and interesting.

    I think it's way more interesting to take something standard and make it unique through character, than just ladle on a grocery list of templates and mulit-classes.

    ReplyDelete